Darts Betting Guide for 2023
Darts betting in Canada and the sport in general have had their profile raised by a passionate fanbase and because of international growth. Multiple world champion John Part hails from Ontario, while Jeff Smith is a New Brunswick native.
This is our comprehensive guide to darts betting. All this and more features on the page:
- What the best darts betting sites look like and how to join them
- Background and key facts to this fabulous sport
- Plenty of darts betting advice including different bet types
Top Darts Betting Sites for Canadian Players
- Dozens of sports to bet on
- Dedicated sports betting app
- Specific esports promotions
- FAQs section is lacking
- Lowest margin sports odds
- Dedicated esports section
- Multi View live betting option
- Lack of bonuses & promos
- No horse racing betting
- Win Rate: 97.17%
- Payout Speed: 24 hrs
- Very modern sportsbook
- Low bonus wager requirement
- Personalized sports betting
- Promotions aren’t so regular
- Games: 1,500+
- Win Rate: 96.20%
- Payout Speed: 1-5 days
- Mobile apps for Android and iOS
- eSports betting markets
- 24/7 live chat
- Poor VIP program
- Live chat only in English
- Not many payment methods
- Large sports betting selection
- Dedicated sports betting app
- Huge selection of promotions
- No live chat support
- Refer-a-friend bonus offer
- Stylish sportsbook design
- Separate racebook section
- Few esports betting options
- 1,000 daily sports events
- Dedicated esports section
- 24/7 customer support
- Limited VIP program
- Leading sports odds
- Fast and easy to navigate
- Daily promos & free bets
- No live streaming available
- Big variety of sports markets
- Award-winning mobile app
- Great sports betting promos
- Slightly confusing sports page
- Multiple live betting options
- Very appealing site design
- Quick payout times
- Deposit & withdrawal fees
- Customer support is not 24/7
How we Review the Best Darts Sites
How to Sign Up to a Darts Betting Site
Pick one of the best darts betting sites we recommend here
Visit the site and find the ‘sign up’, ‘register’ or ‘join’ button which should be prominent on the homepage
A registration form will appear and you should fill in your personal details
Security questions and answers can give your betting account extra protection. These are optional for some sites but compulsory on others
If asked, create a username. Again, this may be optional. You will have to come up with a pin code or password
Promo codes to activate offers must be entered before completing registration
Agree to sportsbook terms and conditions by clicking the tickbox, and you may also need to verify your age
An Introduction to Darts
Let’s get started. Here are some key facts about the sport of darts you should know before betting:
The World Darts Federation (WDF) is the official governing body
Working alongside the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC), they organise tournaments
There are two world championships in darts. One is organized by the PDC and the other by original organization, the British Darts Organisation (BDO)
Although the sport has its background as a pastime in public houses (pubs), darts much like snooker has become very popular in English-speaking countries and now the Netherlands and Germany
Different sections around the outside of a dartboard have different point values between one and 20. Certain segments are worth double and triple scores, with the outer ring in the middle worth 25 and the bullseye 50
Players in a game of darts each throw three at a time trying to reach zero from a starting score of 501. The first to do that wins that leg
In order to win a leg, the final dart thrown must be a double score or land in the bullseye
Reaching zero is referred to as 'checking out', and the minimum possible number of darts thrown to get there is nine (known as a nine-darter or perfect leg)
Darts players must stand behind a line, called the oche, which is a regulation 2.37m away from the board
Dartboards hang so that the bullseye is 1.73m (5ft 8in) from the floor. This should be at eye level for a person who is 6ft (1.83m) tall
How Darts Odds Work
If you haven’t gambled before, then you’ll be wondering how darts odds work? It’s quite simple really and we’re going to talk you through an example:
Two giants of darts, Michael van Gerwen and Gary Anderson, are playing. Van Gerwen is the betting favourite because his price is smaller. An $11 stake on him returns $21, which means $10 profit.
Anderson, meanwhile, is the outsider. A $4 wager makes $6 of profit as the return is $10 if he won.
Fractional prices instead of the decimal odds we’ve quoted are common on British-based sportsbooks. The American moneyline is something you may also encounter when looking for darts betting, and there’s more on how these compare in our odds calculator.
Darts Betting Options
There are plenty of different markets priced up when you’re looking for darts odds to bet on. Here are some of the most popular ones:
As above, darts betting can be as simple as picking the winner of a match.Eg:John Part
Depending on the darts match in question, players need to win a certain number of sets, which in turn are based on winning legs. Correct score betting is much like in soccer or tennis.Eg:Rob Cross6-36.50Daryl Gurney
Handicaps or Spread betting
As with other sports, darts lends itself to spread betting. Handicapping favourites with an imagined deficit to overturn can lead to bigger value.Eg:Peter Wright
with -2.5 legs2.70
Which darts player will record the highest checkout in a match?Eg:Jeff Smith2.10
The highest possible score from three darts is 180 (3x treble 20). A number of markets exist around this. Which player will get the most maximums in a match? What will the total 180s be? Who will score a maximum first?Eg:Simon Whitlock2.25
As well as betting on individual darts matches, you can wager on futures markets for tournament wins.Eg:Michael Smith9.00
You can also bet on whether there will be a nine-dart finish in tournaments. This is because it’s still reasonably rare. You’re betting around yes or no.Eg:No nine-dart finish
in the World Matchplay
To reach the final
Will your favourite darts player reach the final of a tournament? This bet pays out whether they go on to win the event or not.Eg:James Wade3.75
When betting on darts or any sport, you want to feel like you’re getting value. That is where bonuses come in. Generally speaking, there are three different types:
- All the best darts betting sites will offer a welcome bonus for when you sign up
- These are to incentivise you to bet on their sportsbook instead of a competitor
- Welcome bonuses are for new customers alone. There may also be terms and conditions you need to follow, including the use of a promo code to claim the offer
- Price boosts and flash odds are other names for this sort of bonus
- Enhanced odds tend to be an increased price on a fancied outcome
- Be quick about getting your bet on as, although open to both new and existing customers, they are often available for a limited time only
- Regular bettors are increasingly receiving rewards for their loyalty
- A VIP Club hands out weekly bonuses to you, provided you place so many qualifying bets within an allotted time
- This type of offer is open to new and existing customers too, so it’s just a matter of commitment
Mobile Darts Betting
Betting through mobile and digital devices is now commonplace. Betting sites have had to adapt to survive by catering for this ever-growing market. What are the benefits of mobile darts betting?
- As we all carry smartphones and tablets connected to the internet around with us, you can access sportsbooks
- All the best darts betting sites will have an app for Android and Apple devices which you can download for free
- These offer a streamlined gambling experience that makes mobile darts betting as easy as possible
What is Darts Live Betting?
- Darts odds are now available on matches as they happen
- This is called live betting where sportsbook traders constantly update prices after each and every dart is thrown
- Popular live darts betting markets include next leg winner
A Brief History of Darts
Returning to the theme of sporting background, here are some of the key dates from the history of professional darts:
The British Darts Organisation (BDO) is founded1973
The World Darts Federation (WDF) is founded1974
The BDO World Darts Championship is first held1978
Eric Bristow wins a record fifth BDO World Darts Championship at Lakeside in Surrey, England. The tournament has been held there ever since1986
Many high-profile figures in darts breakaway from the BDO and form the World Darts Council (WDC)1992
The WDC World Darts Championship is first held. Dennis Priestley wins and becomes the first man to land both that and the BDO world title1994
The World Matchplay is first held in Blackpool1994
The WDC is renamed the Professional Darts Corporation (PDC)1997
Barry Hearn becomes chairman of the PDC2001
The UK Open is first held at Butlin’s Holiday Camp in Minehead2003
Premier League Darts starts. Unlike other major tournaments, it is held as a league format at first over several weeks and players are gradually eliminated2005
Dutch giant Raymond van Barneveld wins his fifth world title, and first in the PDC, after only switching from the BDO the previous year2007
Alexandra Palace in North London becomes the host venue of the PDC World Darts Championship2008
All-time great Phil Taylor wins a record 14th PDC World Darts Championship (and 16th in total)2013
Dominant Dutchman Michael van Gerwen wins his first world title2014
PDC World Championship debutant Rob Cross, who was only an amateur 11 months prior to the event, shocked the field to win his maiden title2018
That is everything from this guide with darts betting advice. We’re sure you’ll agree this great sport is going from strength to strength and has tons to offer from a gambling perspective.
If you have any questions or want to check something, then our FAQs section below has all the answers.
Betting on darts is simple. Find the match or tournament you want to bet on through the betting site you have an account with. Now add your fancied wager to the betslip and enter your stake. Place the bet, then wait and see if it wins.
Our experts have only included the top rated and best darts betting sites on this page.
Mobile darts betting exists and, yes, you can bet through your smartphone or tablet on it.
The most popular darts odds and bet types people wager on include:
- To win
- Correct score
- Handicaps or Spread betting
- Highest checkout
- 180 betting
- Outright winner
- Nine-dart finish
- To reach the final
Yes. Darts betting in Canada is completely legal.
Live betting, also called in-play betting, is available on darts. These are odds you can bet on during a match which update as each and every dart is thrown. Live betting differs from regular fixed odds which cease when a game begins.
Spread betting are brackets within which a favourite should still win despite an imagined deficit created by odds compilers. Also known as handicap betting, underdogs can have theoretical advantages too.
Darts is one of the many sports to have spread betting. A winning bet is said to have covered the spread or handicap.
- Online Poker Play real money online poker cash games and tournaments 24/7.
- Sports Betting Discover the top bookies to place your online sports bets with.
- Slots Canadian slots players win huge progressive jackpots and play newest games.
- Online Casinos Canadian players enjoy your favourite games at our top online casino.