Cricket betting guide for 2024
A little-known fact is that Canada played in the first-ever international cricket game against the USA back in 1844. As with most English-speaking countries, interest in cricket betting has been on the rise in Canada ever since. Read on as we’ll show you the best cricket sportsbooks, how to bet, popular types of bets and more on major events from the IPL to The Ashes.
Best cricket betting sites in Canada
How to bet on cricket
- Once signed up to a recommended sportsbook, log in to your account.
- Locate the sports section and find cricket betting in the menu.
- Select a cricket game or futures bet for upcoming events.
- Choose a market you wish to bet on and click on it to create a betslip.
- Enter how much you wish to bet to see your potential returns.
- Confirm the bet if happy and await the outcome.
Understanding cricket odds
Before placing your first bet, we’ll show you how to read betting odds in cricket. For online cricket betting in Canada, decimal odds are most popular. Our example below shows the 2021/22 Ashes series winner odds between Australia and England.
The Ashes holders and hosts Australia are big betting favourites as their price is smallest. To work out how much you could win, you need to times your stake total by the betting odds amount. So, a C$10 bet on Australia at 1.25 would see you claim C$12.50 in total, or C$2.50 in profit.
If you were to back underdogs England to win with the same C$10 bet, then your profit would be a much higher C$55 – or C$65 in total with your stake back.
Try out more betting combinations and find out the implied probability for each with our cricket odds calculator below. You can also convert odds to the American moneyline (eg -400) or British fractional (1/4) styles.
Cricket best bets & betting options
We’ll now take you through some of the most popular and best cricket bets to take in any form of the game…
This bet is simply for which team will win a game of cricket. Some sportsbooks may call this a cricket moneyline if there are only two outcomes, while others will phrase it as ‘match winner’. For Test and List A games in particular, you’ll also find odds for there to be a draw/tie.
Who will be the top batsman or bowler on a team in a game, innings (if it's a Test), series or overall at a tournament? Whoever scores the most runs or gets the best bowling figures in these markets is the winner.
Virat Kohli to be
best India batsman
Cricket prop bets are for markets that occur within a game. These include ‘player to score most 4s or 6s’, ‘highest opening partnership’, ‘method of 1st dismissal’, as well as cricket over/under runs markets.
Jos Buttler to hit
the most 6s
You’ll find a number of cricket specials to bet on, including ‘who’ll be man of the match’ and even ‘who’ll win the coin toss’, which unsurprisingly will always be 50/50.
Joe Root to be
man of the match
in England v Australia
Cricket futures bets are for ongoing markets that you can bet on before and during a tournament or series. These are where you’ll find cricket World Cup odds for the winner or even to reach a certain stage like the final.
New Zealand to reach the
Cricket World Cup final
Live cricket betting is hugely popular due to the slower pace of the games, especially in the longer forms of the sport like for Tests and 50-over games. You’ll be able to bet on games while they’re happening, and place regular pre-game bets as well as unique ones such as ‘next wicket’. Check out our live betting page to learn more.
Main cricket competitions to bet on
Indian Cricket League (IPL)
The IPL was an instant hit in cricket when it was founded in 2008, being held in cricket-mad India. From 2022, 10 teams will battle it out to be champions, after a double round-robin and playoffs stages.
Due to its lucrative auction, where players can earn millions, it attracts the world’s best and most exciting cricketers each year. IPL betting is one of the most popular in cricket as a result. Other prominent club T20 competitions include the Big Bash, T20 Blast, Caribbean Premier League and Global T20 Canada.
T20 World Cup
Another 20-over competition, but this time at international level. T20 World Cup betting is available for both the men and women’s events, which are held in different years and countries.
The men’s 2021 T20 World Cup is hosted in the UAE and Oman for the first time. It features 16 teams including current champions the West Indies, as well as favourites India, England, Australia, New Zealand and talented outsiders Afghanistan.
Cricket World Cup
Cricket World Cup betting is also hugely popular, although fans will only be able to enjoy this 50-over tournament every four years. The next edition takes place in October 2023 in India.
You’ll be able to take advantage of cricket World Cup winner odds already in the futures markets of sportsbooks. This is the best time to bet if you fancy a current outsider with big odds to improve before 2023.
Simply the biggest spectacle in Test match cricket. The Ashes has been played between England and Australia’s top players since 1882, and the showdown in the current era is as fierce as ever.
It is played across five matches, to form the series, with the winner claiming the famous (and tiny) Urn trophy until the next occasion. The 2021/22 Ashes will take place in Australia from December 8 until January 18.
One of the newest competitions in cricket, The Hundred even has its own format. As its name suggests, it is played across 100 balls per innings and is made up of eight English and Welsh men’s and women’s teams who play simultaneously.
The first edition got off to a rocky start as it was postponed from 2020 to 2021 due to Covid-19, but the Southern Brave (men) and Oval Invincibles (women) teams eventually claimed the inaugural titles.
Cricket schedule for 2021-2022
We’ve picked out some of the highest profile international and club cricket competitions coming up in 2021 and 2022, which will all be available to wager on at the best cricket betting sites:
- Aug 4 – Mar 2023: ICC World Test Championship (Multiple)
- Oct 17 – Nov 14: T20 World Cup (UAE & Oman)
- Dec 5 – Jan 28: Big Bash League (Australia)
- Dec 8 – Jan 18: The Ashes Test series (Australia)
- Feb 20 – Mar 30: Pakistan Super League (Pakistan)
- Mar 27 – May 21: Indian Premier League (India)
- Summer 2022: T20 Blast (England & Wales)
- Summer 2022: The Hundred (England & Wales)
- Aug 26 – Sept 15: Caribbean Premier League (St Kitts & Nevis)
Cricket rules and intro
- Cricket now exists in many forms. As well as Tests, there are limited overs matches called One Day games (50 overs), Twenty20s (20 overs) and The Hundred (100 balls)
- Whichever form of the game is being played, each team has 11 starting players
- Some are specialist batsmen who score runs by hitting the ball with a bat and protect the wicket when doing so. Shots that reach the boundary along the ground are worth four runs and ones that clear it six
- Other cricket players are specialist bowlers, whose objective is to get the batsmen out by hitting the wicket stumps and knocking off the bales
- One player from the fielding team is always standing behind the stumps with special gloves and pads, and is called the wicketkeeper
- A batsman is out either by being clean bowled, bowled and then caught, stumped by the wicketkeeper, run out, out lbw or timed out
- The term lbw is short for leg before wicket. In brief, if the batsman's leg or sometimes other parts of the body is struck by the bowled ball before hitting the bat, it can lead to a dismissal
- A team is all out when they have lost 10 wickets. Or an innings can also be over if a captain declares or if a team bats for the allotted overs amount
- The format of the cricket match to some extent determines the tactics. For example, in limited overs games, batting teams have to be more positive with their shots
Cricket odds are all well and good, but without attractive bonuses you might feel short-changed by a sportsbook. Promotions are essential nowadays. All the best cricket betting sites should offer these three types of bonus:
- You can expect to receive something for joining a sportsbook
- Welcome bonuses are for new customers only, though
- Signing up may not be enough to get this on its own. Using a promo code, making a cash deposit
and/or placing qualifying bets are likely requirements
- Price boosts on fancied betting outcomes are common throughout the industry
- You just need to be quick about getting your enhanced odds bets on as they are only available
for a limited time
- This type of bonus is one both new and existing customers can take advantage of
- Regular bettors can have their loyalty rewarded by a sportsbook through a VIP Club
- Just place a certain number of qualifying bets each week and you'll receive bonuses
- Again, there are no restrictions on who can benefit – provided you commit to meeting the terms
Cricket betting apps & mobile bets
If you own an Android or Apple smartphone and tablet, then you can download betting apps for free. Alternatively, you can do online cricket betting in Canada on a mobile version of the site.
The best betting apps for cricket and other mobile sites are featured on the top of this page, and display the biggest range of markets and top betting odds.
How we review the best betting sites
Our experts recommend certain sites for cricket betting in Canada, but what do these all have in common? It's the following criteria:
Is cricket betting legal in Canada?
Yes, cricket betting in Canada is completely legal. As long as you are playing at a legitimate cricket betting site, such as the ones we recommend, and are of legal gambling age in Canada.
What are the best cricket betting sites?
How does cricket betting work?
What are the most popular types of cricket bets?
What is cricket handicap betting?