Winter Olympics Betting Guide for 2022
Canada has hosted the Winter Olympics twice before. This is our guide to betting on
this huge sporting event.
Here’s what is in store for you on this page:
- Winter Olympics betting advice galore, including review criteria and guidance on how to sign up to
- Key information about the event, including host venues, how Winter Olympics odds work and which sports
are popular for mobile and live betting?
- A list of the best Winter Olympics betting sites that are recommended to you by our experts
Best Winter Olympics Betting Sites in Canada
Last reviewed: May 2021
Our casinos are:
Safe & Secure
Last reviewed: May 2021
How we Review the Best Winter Olympics Sportsbooks
How to Sign Up to a Winter Olympics Betting Site
Pick one of our recommended best Winter Olympics betting sites to join
Locate the ‘sign up’ button that should be displayed prominently on the homepage
Fill in the registration form with your personal details and information
You may be asked to provided security questions and answers that give your account
an additional safety level
Sometimes setting a username is optional, but you will always be required to create a
password or pin code for access
If you have a promo code that needs quoting to receive a welcome bonus, now is the
time to enter it when prompted
Agree to sportsbook terms and conditions, and don’t forget to verify your age
Key Facts & Info on the Winter Olympics
To get you started with Winter Olympics betting in Canada, here are some key facts
After the success of re-establishing the
Summer Olympics, a Winter version was thought up and first held in 1924
Only sports that are played on snow or ice can be part of the Winter Olympics
Canada, as noted above, has twice hosted the Winter Olympics. Calgary in Alberta
was chosen in 1988 and Vancouver in British Columbia for the 2010 Games
Until 1992, the Summer and Winter Olympics were held in the same year at
In order to space out Olympic events more, the Winter Games were moved to two
years through a Summer cycle starting in 1994
The United States is the only nation to have hosted four different Winter Olympics
Sports can be added or removed from the Winter Olympics calendar as per
the International Olympic Committee (IOC) selection policy
How Winter Olympics Odds Work
You may be wondering how Winter Olympics odds work. It’s all quite simple really. Popular
sports (more on those below) will be priced up on betting sites, so let’s work through an example:
Canada are playing the United States at ice hockey. Not all that surprising, given both
countries have representation in the NHL.
In this instance, Canada are favourites in the betting to win as their price is smaller. For every C$10
wagered on them, they yield C$11 of profit which is a return of C$21.
The United States, meanwhile, are betting underdogs. For every C$4 staked on them, the return is C$11 -
C$7 of which is profit.
That’s simple enough. Ties can also occur, but at the Winter Olympics an ice hockey match may need to
have a winner if it’s for a Gold medal.
The American moneyline system is also popular and another alternative way of expressing odds is to use
fractions. We went with decimal prices in this example, because they too are common. For more on comparing
odds types, see our calculator.
Popular Winter Olympics Betting Options
These are some of the most popular sports you can bet on at the Winter Olympics:
As noted above, Olympic ice hockey is a very popular sport for Winter
Olympics betting in Canada. You can bet on individual match winners or who will win the Gold medal?
Points spread and total goals markets are also available on ice hockey as standard. Remember, futures
betting sits side by side with wagers like these.
Canada to beat
the United States
Futures betting should be available on which individual or couple will win gold in
their respective disciplines.
Jayne Torvill and
to win the pairs ice dance
Curling is a team sport where stones are slid across a sheet of ice. Brooms are
used to sweep the ice in front of a stone into a target made of concentric circles.
a somewhat niche sport, curling is curiously exciting and futures betting should be available on
the competing countries.
The Winter Olympics doesn’t get more traditional than this. There are many
different types of skiing discipline and betting exists on alpine, cross-country and Nordic combined
to win the women’s
Skateboarding on ice is more or less the name of the game with snowboarding. There
are parallel, half-pipe, cross and slopestyle events for you to bet on.
Shaun White to win
the men’s half-pipe
Combining cross-country skiing and rifle shooting sounds like something out of an
old James Bond film. The biathlon is a very popular Winter Olympics event, though, and there are many
different versions of it.
Sprints, pursuits, relays and mass starts are all held alongside
individual disciplines. Biathlon betting is surprisingly lively during the Winter Games.
to win the men’s pursuit
When it comes to ski jumping, there’s the normal hill and the large hill. The
further you jump, the more points you get. Jumpers compete as individuals and as a team for their
Wind assistance can have a huge hand in this sport, and that’s always something to
think about when betting on it.
to win the men’s
individual large hill
Like the luge, hurtling downhill in a bobsleigh or skeleton can give the sportsmen
and women who do it a real adrenaline rush. Crews can be up to and including four people. The aim is
to make yourself or collectively as streamline as possible.
Whichever individual or crew makes
it down the course fastest wins. You should find plenty of skeleton and bobsleigh betting during the
Canada to win
the two-women bob
One thing you should definitely getting when engaging with Winter Olympics betting are
bonuses. Broadly speaking, there are three different types available to
- A welcome bonus is more or less what is says on the tin: something that incentivizes you for
joining a betting site
- It’s practically a universal expectation that sportsbooks will offer you something for signing
- All the best Winter Olympics betting sites have these, but make sure you understand the terms
and use a promo code if needed to get it
- Enhanced odds, also called price boosts or flash odds, give extra value on an anticipated
- Unlike welcome bonuses, these should be available to both new and existing customers of a
- Such enhanced odds may only be available for a limited time, so you need to get your bets on
- If you regularly place wagers on a certain betting site, many now want to reward your loyal
custom through a VIP Club
- Provided you opt in and meet the terms by placing a number of qualifying bets in the specified
timeframe, you can get weekly bonuses
- A VIP Club isn’t as exclusive as it sounds. What’s great about them is they’re open to both
new and existing customers prepared to bet regularly
Winter Olympics Betting Apps
One of the major developments in gambling of recent times is the advent of mobile betting.
What are the benefits of placing wagers through your smartphone?
- Mobile Winter Olympics betting is available to you as most betting sites have an app for Apple and Android devices which you can download
- These are like a mobile version of the sportsbook, but give you a streamlined gambling experience which make it as easy as possible to place a bet
- We carry our smartphones with us everywhere these days. By doing so, you in effect have access to betting anywhere with an internet signal
Live Betting on the Winter Olympics
- Like the mobile revolution, another marked shift in gambling has come from the introduction of live betting
- You can now place bets on major sporting events like the Winter Olympics while the sport is actually happening
- Lookout for ice hockey live betting odds among others during the Winter Games to enhance your experience of watching the action unfold
Modern Winter Olympics Host Venues
These locations have all either hosted or are set to host the Winter Olympics:
St Moritz, Switzerland
Lake Placid, New York, United States
St Moritz, Switzerland
Cortina d’Ampezzo, Italy
Squaw Valley, California, United States
Lake Placid, New York, United States
Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina (then Yugoslavia)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
PyeongChang, South Korea
We hope this Winter Olympics betting guide has been helpful. As one of the great
sporting events held every four years, it’s often well worth the wait to watch.
Should you need any more Winter Olympics betting advice, then our FAQs section below has answers to common
Interested in the Summer Olympics? Then read our comprehensive Summer Olympics 2021 betting guide.
How does Winter Olympics betting work?
Winter Olympics betting in Canada is just the same as everywhere else. Select the sport
you want to bet on during the Games, then add the bet you want to place to your slip. Now enter your
stake and confirm your wager.
What are the best sites to bet on the Winter Olympics?
Can I bet on the Winter Olympics on mobile?
Which sports are the most popular for Winter Olympics bets?
Is Winter Olympics betting legal in Canada?
What is Winter Olympics live betting?