Best Canadian Video Poker Casinos in 2020
Playing video poker online is becoming increasingly popular in Canada, and we’ve lined up a list of the absolute best places for you to play. Playing video poker for real money offers a fast, exciting poker variant, and the shortlisted sites here all offer the latest software and security, whether you're playing on your desktop or with a mobile app.
If depositing money is stopping you from trying video poker lots of sites offer a range of free games to help you get started. Once you've worked out how to play, you should be well set to try video poker for real money. On this page we’ll show you:
- The best video poker casinos with big bonuses and a wide range of games
- All the different variations and kinds of video poker you can play
- Video poker tips and basic strategies to help you win more
How We Rate Top Video Poker Sites
When we rate and review online casinos that offer video poker, it goes way beyond just looking at who has the best games. Our experts dig into everything from the site’s reputation to its security to its banking practices.
Only casinos that get outstanding marks in every category make it on to our list of recommended places to play.
Quantity and Quality of Video Poker Games
For passionate video poker players game selection is really important. We always look at casinos to make sure they have high-quality game design and lots of video poker variants to choose from. Since online casinos don’t develop the games themselves we make sure they’re working with one of the industry’s top game designers.
Site Security and License
Having great games only really matters if you can trust a site to protect your funds and personal information. Our top priority when reviewing sites is to make sure they’re safe and trustworthy. We do that by making sure the casino has a valid eGaming license and up-to-date security.
Banking and Customer Service
Being able to quickly and easily get money on and off the site is really important. After all, if you score a big win playing video poker you shouldn’t have to wait to be able to enjoy your winnings! We recommend casinos that have fast deposits and withdrawals using popular payment methods. And if you do run into a snag, having a top-notch customer service department to help is a huge plus.
Video Poker Tips and Strategy
It’s important to understand that video poker is different than the kind of poker you see in movies and on TV. Video poker is played against the casino and it’s more like slots than poker that’s played around a table. Both kinds of poker use strategy, however, and video poker strategy is definitely worth learning.
Pay Table - This shows the scores your selection of cards will earn if they match a particular type of poker hand. As seen by the columns, the higher the rank of the cards making up your hand, the higher the score.
Held Cards - After the cards have been dealt, you can choose whether to replace all or some of your cards. Just press the ‘Hold’ button over each card you want to keep as part of your hand. The rest will be drawn again.
Final Draw - Once you have decided which cards you are keeping, hit the ‘draw’ button to see the final selection of cards and find out whether you’ve hit the big time!
Once you know the basics of how to play you can take your game to the next level by learning more advanced strategies. Learn the most profitable play in every possible situation by studying video poker strategy charts for the game you’re playing. Your bankroll will thank you.
Popular Video Poker Variations
Just like regular poker, video poker games have lots of different variations you can play. Each game has its own rules and payout structures and some even feature special jackpots. Check out the most popular forms of video poker and what makes them special.
Jacks of Better
This is the most common style of video poker and probably the best for beginners because it’s relatively low risk.
- Jacks or better gets its name because the minimum winning hand is a pair of jacks.
- Jacks or better is low risk meaning you’ll win or lose less compared to other games.
- The biggest payout comes from hitting a royal flush while betting max credits.
Double Bonus and Double Double Bonus Poker are more fast-paced versions of Jacks of Better.
- The minimum winning hand is a pair of jacks which pays 1 to 1.
- Two pair also pays 1 to 1 instead of 2 to 1 as in Jacks or Better.
- Double Bonus has bigger swings since small hands pay less and bigger hands pay more compared to Jacks or Better.
Deuces Wild video poker is an even more exciting style of video poker because it has wild cards.
- All deuces are wild, which means they can become any card necessary to make the best possible hand.
- Big hands are way more common but the payouts are less because of the wild cards.
Progressive Jackpot Games
Any style of video poker (Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild) can have a progressive jackpot attached to it.
- Progressive jackpots put a little bit of each bet towards a special prize that keeps getting bigger until it’s won.
- Progressive jackpot machines will give you less frequent wins but potentially massive scores if you get lucky.
Video Poker vs. Regular Online Poker
Like we mentioned before, video poker isn’t what most people mean when they say poker. One is played against the casino and the other is played against other players. Check out the list below to understand the key differences.
- Video poker is a casino game played against the house.
- In land casinos it’s played on a video touch screen.
- Video poker can also be played on the internet at all major online casinos.
- Video poker games let you hold and draw cards to make the best possible hand.
- Video poker games include Jacks or Better, Deuces Wild and Double Bonus Poker.
Regular Online Poker
- In traditional poker you compete against other players, not the casino.
- Usually you must sign up to a dedicated online poker room, not an online casino.
- You can play in tournaments or cash games in many different poker variants.
- This is the poker you see in movies and on poker TV shows.
- Games include Texas Hold’em, Omaha and Stud.
How to Play Mobile Video Poker
Just like all casino games in 2020, video poker is really easy to play on your smartphone or tablet while you’re on the go. Forget about being stuck on your computer, now you can fire up a quick game no matter where you are.
Online casinos make their video poker games available right in your mobile device’s web browser and lots also offer a special downloadable app that provides enhanced mobile gaming functionality.
Check out our site reviews to see who has the best video poker app.
Online video poker works flawlessly on almost all modern smartphones and tablets including Apple iOS iPhones and iPads, or Android devices like the Samsung Galaxy and Galaxy Tab.
Start Playing Video Poker Online Right Now
If you’re wondering, “Where can I find video poker near me?” you’re in luck. Thanks to online casinos video poker is at your fingertips 24 hours a day.
Whether you play on your computer or on mobile, we’ve got an all-star line-up of the very best places to play. Our sites all offer the best video poker games and a big welcome bonus to get you started.
Use what we’ve taught you on this page to make an informed decision, and you’re sure to find an answer to your video game dreams.
Video Poker FAQs
How does video poker work?
Video poker functions like a cross between a slot machine and a game of five-card draw. Players receive five cards, choose which to discard – these are replaced with new cards from the deck – and try to use any remaining original cards and the new cards to build the best poker hand possible.
Why play video poker?
Video poker is a great game for people who like to make strategy decisions and also enjoy the one-on-one nature of slot machines. You should play video poker for fun, entertainment and a potential payday.
Where can I play video poker?
All of the top online casinos offer video poker alongside their video slots. You can find a range of different variations, each with different rule changes and odds, so be sure to keep reading to find out the best video poker options to try. You can also find video poker games in land-based casinos.
What game should I play?
Popular video poker titles you'll find at most online casinos include the following:
- Jacks or Better
- Deuces Wild
- Aces and Eights
- Double Bonus
- Jokers Wild
Which game offers the best odds?
With a payback rate of 100.76%, Deuces Wild has the best odds and is the best choice for Canadian players who really know their video poker strategy.
What is variance?
Variance refers to the swings gamblers take when they get lucky or unlucky. Statistically casino games are usually close to 50/50 for the gambler or house to win but in the short term the results can be weighted way more in one direction or the other. The higher the variance, the higher those swings will be.
Variance can be thought of as how volatile the game is. A high variance game, for example, will pay out big prizes infrequently while a low variance game pays out lots of frequent but smaller prizes.
Can I play video poker games for free?
Absolutely. All of our recommended casinos let you demo the games for free, and lots of them don’t even make you sign up for an account to do it. Free play is a great option to practice your skills or just play for fun.
- Online Casinos Canadian players enjoy your favourite games at our top online casino.
- Sports Betting Discover the top bookies to place your online sports bets with.
- Online Poker Play real money online poker cash games and tournaments 24/7.
- Slots Canadian slots players win huge progressive jackpots and play newest games.