NCAA basketball betting guide for 2023
The number of athletes who compete every year in top-level sport organized by the National Collegiate Athletic Association is about half a million.
College basketball is one of the most exciting sports to bet on, packed full of drama, excitement and emotion. Being hugely popular in the US and Canada, you'll also find a whole array of online NCCAA betting opportunities.
Read on to find out how betting on NCAA basketball works, the different types of wagers and how to get into live betting on NCAA basketball.
Top NCAA basketball betting sites in Canada
- Dozens of sports to bet on
- Dedicated sports betting app
- Specific esports promotions
- FAQs section is lacking
- Lowest margin sports odds
- Dedicated esports section
- Multi View live betting option
- Lack of bonuses & promos
- No horse racing betting
- Win Rate: 97.17%
- Payout Speed: 24 hrs
- Very modern sportsbook
- Low bonus wager requirement
- Personalized sports betting
- Promotions aren’t so regular
- Games: 1,500+
- Win Rate: 96.20%
- Payout Speed: 1-5 days
- Mobile apps for Android and iOS
- eSports betting markets
- 24/7 live chat
- Poor VIP program
- Live chat only in English
- Not many payment methods
- Large sports betting selection
- Dedicated sports betting app
- Huge selection of promotions
- No live chat support
- Refer-a-friend bonus offer
- Stylish sportsbook design
- Separate racebook section
- Few esports betting options
- 1,000 daily sports events
- Dedicated esports section
- 24/7 customer support
- Limited VIP program
- Leading sports odds
- Fast and easy to navigate
- Daily promos & free bets
- No live streaming available
- Big variety of sports markets
- Award-winning mobile app
- Great sports betting promos
- Slightly confusing sports page
- Multiple live betting options
- Very appealing site design
- Quick payout times
- Deposit & withdrawal fees
- Customer support is not 24/7
An introduction to NCAA basketball
Basketball supporters who enjoy top-quality of play have a host of games to spark their interest each year.
NCAA basketball features 353 schools playing in 32 Division I conferences
There are also 24 Division II basketball conferences, with nearly 50 further conferences in Division III
Unlike the NBA, where matches have four quarters, NCAA games are divided into two halves of 20 minutes
The champion of each Division I conference qualifies for an annual tournament
They are joined by 36 selected teams
These 68 then compete in a single-elimination tournament, known as March Madness
It takes place over three weeks, with the Final Four usually played on the first weekend in April
How NCAA basketball odds work
Betting on NCAA basketball mirrors the way wagering takes place on the NBA and other head-to-head sports. This is a simple guide to how the odds work.
Take the example of a game between Duke and MI State. The odds, expressed as decimals, may read:
If you stake C$10 on Duke, the favourite, you get back C$18. If you put C$10 on Washington, the underdogs, your return is C$21.
You might see odds in other formats, such as fractional and moneyline (also known as American) odds.
However, most sportsbooks let you swap between systems to let you choose how you view prices. Try out our Odds Calculator to see how they compare.
NCAA basketball betting options
To win the Conference
You may have a strong hunch that one team is sure to win its conference. You can wager on this well in advance.Eg:To win ACC:
To reach the latter stages
This bet is for you if you reckon your selection can go deep in the tournament. Semi-finalists are called the Sweet Sixteen, finalists the Elite Eight.Eg:To reach the Elite Eight:
To win the NCAA National Championship
Perhaps you have a very strong fancy for the overall winner of March Madness. The earlier you put money on it, the better the odds should be.Eg:To win March Madness:
Live betting on NCAA basketball
- Nowadays you can place bets on games that are in-play
- Odds will fluctuate depending on how the game unfolds
- You can bet on various different markets, such as who will win the next quarter or even the overall outcome of the game
- Bettors enjoy trying to outsmart sportsbooks as the game goes on
More on basketball
Brief NCAA basketball timeline
Basketball is invented at Springfield College, Massachusetts1891
The NCAA, established four years earlier, takes its new name1906
The first NCAA national championship, in track and field, is held1921
Oregon wins the first NCAA national basketball championship1939
The all-black Texas Western basketball team face an all-white Kentucky line-up – a landmark in the civil rights movement1966
Members are divided into three divisions – I, II and III1973
UCLA wins the basketball title for the 10th time in 12 years1975
Mike Krzyzewski takes over as head coach as Duke, where he wins five national titles1980
Christian Laettner completes his record haul of 407 points from 23 NCAA tournament games1992
The NCAA moves to its current HQ in Indianapolis – it now awards 90 national championships each year1997
For the first time, a total of 68 teams take part in March Madness2011
UMBC springs the biggest shock in the event's history by beating top seed Virginia 75-54.2018
Recent NCAA men's basketball champions
The organization that has overall responsibility for collegiate sports in the United States. Basketball is one of the most popular sports it administers.
The point spread is a perennial favourite with NCAA basketball fans. The spread is set by the sportsbook and you must determine which side will win or lose by more than that margin.
Our online betting guide tells you all the areas you need to know about when choosing a site. These include important considerations such as security, licensing, range of bets and bonuses.
All of your recommended online casinos, shown further up this page, score highly on all the above.
You certainly can. Nearly all sportsbooks now boast user-friendly apps that allow you to bet on your device.
Once the game gets under way, sportsbooks will offer you the ability to wager on the live action, as well as the overall result.
- Online Poker Play real money online poker cash games and tournaments 24/7.
- Sports Betting Discover the top bookies to place your online sports bets with.
- Slots Canadian slots players win huge progressive jackpots and play newest games.
- Online Casinos Canadian players enjoy your favourite games at our top online casino.