Major League Soccer Betting Guide for 2022
Did you know there are teams from Canada playing in Major League Soccer? This is our guide to MLS betting which is the American soccer league.
With its own franchises involved, Major League Soccer betting in Canada is important. You’ll find all this and more on this page:
- Key facts about the MLS and an overview of the competition’s history
- Popular bet types and how Major League Soccer odds work
- The best MLS betting sites via our list below:
Top Online Soccer Betting Sites in 2022
- Dozens of sports to bet on
- Dedicated sports betting app
- Specific esports promotions
- FAQs section is lacking
- Lowest margin sports odds
- Dedicated esports section
- Multi View live betting option
- Lack of bonuses & promos
- No horse racing betting
- Win Rate: 97.17%
- Payout Speed: 24 hrs
- Very modern sportsbook
- Low bonus wager requirement
- Personalized sports betting
- Promotions aren’t so regular
- Games: 1,500+
- Win Rate: 96.20%
- Payout Speed: 1-5 days
- Mobile apps for Android and iOS
- eSports betting markets
- 24/7 live chat
- Poor VIP program
- Live chat only in English
- Not many payment methods
- Large sports betting selection
- Dedicated sports betting app
- Huge selection of promotions
- No live chat support
- Refer-a-friend bonus offer
- Stylish sportsbook design
- Separate racebook section
- Few esports betting options
- 1,000 daily sports events
- Dedicated esports section
- 24/7 customer support
- Limited VIP program
- Leading sports odds
- Fast and easy to navigate
- Daily promos & free bets
- No live streaming available
- Big variety of sports markets
- Award-winning mobile app
- Great sports betting promos
- Slightly confusing sports page
- Multiple live betting options
- Very appealing site design
- Quick payout times
- Deposit & withdrawal fees
- Customer support is not 24/7
An Introduction to Major League Soccer
Before we start handing out the MLS betting advice, a great foundation is knowing how this competition works. With that in mind, here are our top 10 facts about Major League Soccer:
The MLS is split into the Eastern and Western Conference based on geography
In the 2020 Major League Soccer season, there are 13 teams in each Conference
Each team plays every other from their own Conference both home and away, and all the teams from the other once either home or away
Three points are awarded for a win and one for each tied game
The team that finishes top of each Conference at the end of the regular season receives a bye into the Conference semi-finals of MLS playoffs
Teams that finish second down to seventh enter the MLS playoffs at the Conference quarter-finals stage
Winners of the two Conference playoff finals are taken forward to the MLS Cup
Both the Conference semi-finals and finals are now just one match instead of two-legged ties
Extra-time and penalties can be used to determine the winners of MLS playoffs matches
The away goals rule is no longer in effect for the MLS playoffs
How Major League Soccer Odds Work
If you’re a gambling newbie, then you may not understand how MLS betting works. We can help, though. Let’s work through an example of a typical match result market:
In this hypothetical MLS game, Montreal Impact are favourites because they’re the shortest price. For every C$5 bet on them, you would make C$4 of profit if they won. That’s total returns of C$9 on the wager.
A draw or tie occurs commonly in soccer matches. A C$4 stake on the scores being level here returns C$15. That means C$11 profit.
Toronto FC are betting outsiders to win the game. If you wagered C$30 on them, you would win C$100, garnering a return of C$130.
We’ve used decimal odds in our example, but you might also encounter MLS prices in fractions or using the American moneyline system. Our odds calculator below lets you see how these ways of expressing betting odds compare:
Major League Soccer Betting Options
Now we come to the heart of all MLS betting advice. What different kinds of wager are there that prove popular with gamblers? Here are some of the most frequently used odds types for Major League Soccer betting in Canada:
What is Major League Soccer Live Betting?
- Betting on live sporting events while they are in-play is becoming ever more popular
- The best MLS betting sites will provide live markets for you to place bets on
- These react to what happens in the match with prices constantly updating
- Live betting markets should be available from first to final whistle
- Popular in-play bets include next team to score
A Brief History of Major League Soccer
Major League Soccer is founded as part of the United States’ bid to host the 1994 FIFA World Cup1993
The first MLS season takes place with D.C. United crowned inaugural champions1996
D.C. United retain the MLS Cup. This feat has since been matched with Houston Dynamo (2006 and 2007) and LA Galaxy (2011 and 2012) winning consecutive championships1997
Preki of Kansas City Wizards becomes the only player in MLS history to be voted MVP more than once2003
Former England captain David Beckham joins the MLS signing for LA Galaxy from Real Madrid. His high profile in the global media shone a brighter spotlight on the competition2007
FC Dallas match Columbus Crew’s record undefeated streak of 19 MLS games2010
LA Galaxy win a record fifth MLS Cup2014
Landon Donovan sets the MLS record for most goals (145) and assists (136). Chris Wondolowski surpassed this record in May 2019 at the ripe age of 36.2016
Toronto FC become the first Major League Soccer franchise from Canada to win the MLS Cup2017
New York Red Bulls pick up a record 71 points during the regular MLS season, but lose in the Conference playoff finals to eventual MLS Cup winners Atlanta United2018
And there it is. Our guide to MLS betting in Canada is complete. You should be wiser about how it all works and ready to start gambling on Major League Soccer!
If you haven’t had enough MLS betting advice, then check out our FAQs section. Refresh your memory about the topics we’ve discussed.
What is Major League Soccer?
Major League Soccer, often abbreviated to the MLS, is the USA’s top soccer division. Teams from Canada also play in this league.
What are the most popular MLS bets?
Some of the most popular betting types and MLS odds are:
- Match result
- Correct score
- Goalscorer markets
- Handicaps and spread betting
- MLS Cup winner
- Conference winner
What are the best Major League Soccer betting sites?
We only feature the best MLS betting sites in our list of top casinos on this page. Check those out if you haven’t already!
Can I bet on the MLS on mobile?
You can bet on Major League Soccer and many other sports on mobile and digital devices.
What is Major League Soccer live betting?
Live or in-play betting is where you wager on sporting events as they happen. Markets and odds change all the time to reflect what’s going on.