Canadian Horse Racing Guide in 2020
Welcome to our guide to Canadian horse racing betting. This equine sport has a fine history in the country, across North America and around the world in general.
Horse racing betting in Canada is a legal pastime. So, without further ado here’s what features in our guide:
- The best Canadian horse racing betting sites around
- Background to the sport, including key facts and races
- An explanation of how Canadian horse racing odds work
An Introduction to Horse Racing in Canada
Canada has a lively thoroughbred racehorse breeding industry supporting the sport of horse racing both within the country and globally. To better understand it, here are some key facts you should know:
Canadian horse races take place on dirt, turf (grass) and artificial surfaces (fibresand, polytrack or tapeta)
Certain horse races in Canada are restricted to animals bred in the country and others are open to global entries
Canadian horse racing authorities organize an annual Triple Crown for three-year-old-colts and a separate Triple Tiara for fillies
This differs from other countries like the UK and Ireland where there are only two Classics restricted by sex
Harness racing for standardbred horses is also popular in Canada besides thoroughbred Flat racing
Across one form of the sport or another, there are more than 15 different venues where racing horses takes place in Canada
Racehorse trainers must have a license from horse racing authorities to enter and run their animals in events
As in any other country, horse races in Canada differ in distance and eligibility. Many events are age restricted
Broadly speaking, there are two types of Flat horse racing in Canada. Handicaps and conditions races
In the interests of fairness, rigorous drug testing to prevent doping is in operation
How Canadian Horse Racing Odds Work
Canadian horse racing odds are just like prices you take when betting on any other sport. One major difference, though, is there are almost always more than just two outcomes. The best way to illustrate this is through an example:
Six winners of Canadian Triple Crown events line-up for a fantasy race. Wando is the favourite of the field, because his odds are the smallest. A $4 bet on him returns $11 which makes $7 of potential profit.
The outsider, meanwhile, is Runaway Groom as his price is the largest. A similar $4 stake on this horse returns $52, with $48 in profit if he wins.
Decimal odds are the common way to express horse racing betting in Canada. Prices can also be quoted using the American money line or fractions, which are popular in the UK. For more on the difference between these, see our odds calculator:
Canadian Horse Racing Betting Options
What types of Canadian horse racing odds are available on betting sites? Here are some of the most popular options:
Betting on horse racing in its simplest form is backing something to win.Eg:Wando2.75
For horse racing betting in Canada and North America, a wager to place means backing a horse to finish first or second in a race. The odds will be shorter than an outright win because the bet pays out if your selection comes second.Eg:Basqueian5.00
A bet to show is one which pays out when a horse finishes first, second or third in the race. Again, the price is smaller than an outright win.Eg:Runaway Groom3.20
You can also bet on more than one horse in the same race. Where you fancy two, you can bet on those to finish first and second in a certain order. This is called an exacta.
Alternatively, an exacta can be reversed and you can have your two selections in any order. This is called a reverse exacta or quinella and is two bets in one.Eg:Golden
Within Canada, a trifecta or tricast is called a triactor. This bet involves three horses to finish first, second and third in the same race in a specific order. As with exactas, it’s possible to place other pari-mutuel bets where giving the finishing order isn’t necessary. The return for getting a triactor right is huge.Eg:Wando FirstWonder Gadot SecondGolden Choice Third
Mobile Canadian Horse Racing Betting
The advent of digital technology means mobile Canadian horse racing betting is well established. What are the benefits of gambling through smartphones and tablets?
- Anywhere with an internet signal that you take your phone or other digital device gives you access to betting
- This is because sportsbooks have invested in creating Android and Apple compatible betting apps which you can download for free
- Mobile Canadian horse racing betting features as part of a streamlined approached to gambling
Top 10 Canadian Horse Races
- Woodbine Oaks (nine furlongs, three-year-old fillies)
- Queen’s Plate, Woodbine (10 furlongs, three-year-olds)
- Bison City Stakes, Woodbine (eight-and-a-half furlongs, three-year-old fillies)
- Prince Of Wales Stakes, Fort Erie (nine-and-a-half-furlongs, three-year-olds)
- Wonder Where Stakes, Woodbine (10 furlongs, three-year-old fillies)
- Breeders’ Stakes, Woodbine (12 furlongs, three-year-olds)
- Canadian International Stakes, Woodbine (12 furlongs, three-year-olds and up)
- Canadian Derby, Century Mile (12 furlongs, three-year-olds)
- Woodbine Mile (eight furlongs, three-year-olds and up)
- Nijinsky Stakes, Woodbine (nine furlongs, three-year-olds and up)
And that is all for our guide to horse racing betting in Canada. It’s wonderful to still see the sport taking place all year round despite the climate in some parts of the country.
More Canadian horse racing betting advice can be found below in the FAQs section. Check that out for answers to common queries.
Canadian horse racing betting is just like any other region. Find the race and horse you want gamble on, then add your selection to the betslip.
Enter your stake, that is the amount of money you are betting, and place the bet. It really is as easy as that!
The most popular markets for horse racing betting in Canada are:
- To win
- To place
- To show
Only the best Canadian horse racing betting sites feature on this page and you can find them above.
Mobile Canadian horse racing betting exists. Download betting apps from your chosen sportsbook today, or use the internet browser on your phone to access the mobile betting sites.
It has been legal to bet on horse racing in Canada since 1969, so you’re fine to do so.
- Online Casinos Canadian players enjoy your favourite games at our top online casino.
- Slots Canadian slots players win huge progressive jackpots and play newest games.
- Online Poker Play real money online poker cash games and tournaments 24/7.
- Sports Betting Discover the top bookies to place your online sports bets with.