The (British) Open Betting Guide for 2023
The Open Championship, known outside the UK as the British Open, is the oldest of golf’s four annual Major tournaments.
Golf is a sport that lends itself readily to a host of betting opportunities. Modern sportsbooks offer a broad range of tempting markets to ensure clients in Canada feel even more involved in the action.
In this guide we’ll tell you:
- How betting on golf works
- What fans of golf like to bet on
- How to start live betting on golf
Top Golf Betting Sites for Canadian Players
- Dozens of sports to bet on
- Dedicated sports betting app
- Specific esports promotions
- FAQs section is lacking
- Lowest margin sports odds
- Dedicated esports section
- Multi View live betting option
- Lack of bonuses & promos
- No horse racing betting
- Win Rate: 97.17%
- Payout Speed: 24 hrs
- Very modern sportsbook
- Low bonus wager requirement
- Personalized sports betting
- Promotions aren’t so regular
- Games: 1,500+
- Win Rate: 96.20%
- Payout Speed: 1-5 days
- Mobile apps for Android and iOS
- eSports betting markets
- 24/7 live chat
- Poor VIP program
- Live chat only in English
- Not many payment methods
- Large sports betting selection
- Dedicated sports betting app
- Huge selection of promotions
- No live chat support
- Refer-a-friend bonus offer
- Stylish sportsbook design
- Separate racebook section
- Few esports betting options
- 1,000 daily sports events
- Dedicated esports section
- 24/7 customer support
- Limited VIP program
- Leading sports odds
- Fast and easy to navigate
- Daily promos & free bets
- No live streaming available
- Big variety of sports markets
- Award-winning mobile app
- Great sports betting promos
- Slightly confusing sports page
- Multiple live betting options
- Very appealing site design
- Quick payout times
- Deposit & withdrawal fees
- Customer support is not 24/7
An Introduction to The Open
The history of The Open dates back more than 150 years. It is one of the most prestigious and sought-after titles in golf.
Most players qualify by performing well in leading tours or championships
They are joined by qualifiers from special events around the world
A final 12 make it through Final Qualifying, held across the UK just before the championship
A field of 156 players tees off in the 72-hole strokeplay event, traditionally held on a links (coastal) course
After the first two rounds, the top 70 and ties play the final 36 holes
If there is a tie after 72 holes, a four-hole playoff is held
The winner is announced as 'The champion golfer of the year' and receives the famous Claret Jug
How Golf Odds Work
Betting on The Open in particular, and golf in general, is straightforward. But you may want an introduction to gambling.
Take the example of a tournament. The odds about one player winning may, expressed as decimals, read:
For every C$10 you stake on McIlroy, you win C$110. If you put C$10 on Johnson, you get back C$160.
Odds can be displayed in other formats, such as fractional and moneyline (also known as American) odds.
But most sportsbooks let you swap between systems to let you choose how you view their prices. Have a go on our Odds Calculator to see how they compare.
The Open Betting Options
To qualify for The Open
As the golf season moves towards mid-July, there may be a player you think could qualify for the tournament. Some sportsbooks will be happy to let you wager on the outcome.Eg:Fred Smith21.0
To make the cut
If you think a player is going to do well, but not well enough to top the leaderboard, how about a bet on them to reach the weekend?Eg:Brooks Koepka2.5
To win next year’s Open
You may see a player in this year’s event and conclude his game is perfectly suited to next year’s venue. There will be sportsbooks offering odds on the outcome 12 months in advance.Eg:Henrik Stenson21.0
What is The Open Live Betting?
- Betting doesn’t stop these days once the action starts
- Most sportsbooks continue to offer odds that move according to the ongoing action
- You could play on match bets such as which player in a group will ‘win’ the next hole
- You can continue to wager on the overall Open winner
- Live betting is a great way to add extra excitement and interest while an event is taking place
Brief Timeline of The Open
The first Open is won by Willie Park on home soil at Prestwick in Scotland1860
Old Tom Morris becomes the oldest winner at 461867
The championship is not held because of a dispute over a new trophy1871
England's John Ball becomes the first non-Scottish winner1890
Harry Vardon of Jersey wins his sixth Open, a record that still stands1914
Walter Hagen is the first American-born winner1922
Arnold Palmer wins for the second year running, boosting American interest in the event1962
Nick Faldo, with a final round of 18 pars, wins the first of his three Opens1987
Paul Lawrie wins at Carnoustie after being 10 shots behind before the final round1999
Tiger Woods completes the career Grand Slam as he wins The Open by eight shots2000
Tom Watson, at the age of 59, bogeys the last hole to tie – and lose in a playoff2009
Henrik Stenson, the first Swede to win, sets a record Open score of 20 under par2016
Recent Open Champions
Betting on The Open is, for many people, as traditional as The Open itself. Given the widespread ownership of cellphones in Canada, allied to the innovative flair of sportsbooks, there are plenty of ways to get involved.
To find out everything you might ever need to know about betting on golf in Canada, check out our home page.
A golf tournament held each summer on one of 10 links courses in Scotland, England and Northern Ireland. It is the oldest of the four annual Major championships.
In a field of 156 of the world’s best players, betting on the tournament winner is enormously popular.
Our online betting guide will show you all the subjects you need to know about when choosing a site – one of our recommended higher up on this page – to bet with.
These include important areas such as security, licensing, range of bets and bonuses.
Definitely. Virtually all sportsbooks now have their own consumer-friendly apps that allow you to bet on your device.
Once the tournament gets under way, sportsbooks will continue to offer you odds about the live action, as well as the overall result.
- Online Poker Play real money online poker cash games and tournaments 24/7.
- Sports Betting Discover the top bookies to place your online sports bets with.
- Slots Canadian slots players win huge progressive jackpots and play newest games.
- Online Casinos Canadian players enjoy your favourite games at our top online casino.